Benefits of ergonomics: why is ergonomics important in the workplace?
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes
Table of contents:
Did you know employee retention is crucial, as turnover can be costly, with the median cost being about 21% of an employee's annual salary?
Ergonomic workplaces benefit job satisfaction by reducing task effort, improving interactions with colleagues and supervisors, and creating a pleasant work environment. As a result, employees experience increased satisfaction, leading to lower absenteeism and turnover rates.
If you want to avoid draining your company's funds due to employee turnovers, it's time to get familiar with ergonomics.
In this blog, you will discover the benefits of ergonomics, how it is used in the workplace, how it affects the environment, and more.
Benefits of ergonomics in your employees' workplace
Here are the answers to "Why is ergonomics important in the workplace?"
Ergonomics and the work environment are two essential considerations if you aim to reduce your company's employee turnover rate.
Enhanced employee health and well-being
Ergonomics is an important consideration because it offers numerous benefits to your employees. One significant advantage is the promotion of enhanced health and well-being. By incorporating ergonomic principles into your staff's workstations and equipment, the risk of musculoskeletal disorders (MSDs) can be significantly reduced.
Reduced absenteeism and healthcare costs
One of the benefits of ergonomics in the workplace is the reduction in absenteeism and healthcare costs. If you proactively address ergonomic factors, you can prevent work-related injuries and illnesses. You will experience the benefits of fewer worker absences due to health-related issues. Additionally, with a lower incidence of injuries and illnesses, healthcare expenses for employers can be significantly reduced, contributing to cost savings for the company.
Increased job satisfaction and morale
Worker job satisfaction and morale are the effects of ergonomics. When provided with ergonomic work environments that prioritise their comfort and well-being, workers benefit from enhanced overall job satisfaction. This improved satisfaction leads to increased engagement and motivation, resulting in higher productivity levels. This improved satisfaction leads to increased engagement and motivation, resulting in higher productivity levels.
Moreover, ergonomic initiatives benefit your company by demonstrating your commitment to your staff's well-being. This fosters a positive company culture and boosts employee morale. Employees feel valued and supported, creating a more harmonious and fulfilling work environment.
The impact of ergonomics in the workplace is significant and far-reaching. By implementing ergonomic principles, you will experience the benefit of enhanced employee well-being, boosted productivity, and reduced risk of work-related injuries and musculoskeletal disorders.
How ergonomics is used in the workplace
The goal of ergonomics is to provide comfort and security to both the office and industrial settings.
To achieve an efficient application of ergonomics in the workplace and get the utmost benefits from it, you must consult professional Ergonomists. Book an Individual Virtual Ergonomic Assessment today.
Here are the basic ergonomic considerations for offices and industries.
Ergonomic workstation setup
- Make sure the room is spacious enough to set up workstations in a comfortable and ergonomic manner.
- Keep the working space clean and well-maintained.
- Ensure that the room has good air quality by providing adequate ventilation, controlling humidity, and allowing fresh air circulation.
- Maintain a pleasant temperature in the room to ensure comfort for employees.
- Ensure that the chairs promote a correct sitting posture, with proper alignment of feet, hips, and knees, as well as adequate lower back support.
- Offer dynamic chairs with adjustable backrests that move with the user's body and accommodate their movements.
- Set the height of the desk or table to align with the user's elbows when seated in a proper position.
- Provide ample leg space under the work surface to allow for comfortable and unrestricted leg movement.
Explore the benefit of the basic checklist to achieve ergonomic efficiency in the office.
Ergonomic tools and equipment for industrial workplaces
Here are some of the basic questions to audit industrial workplaces. Your employees working in the industry should also enjoy the benefits of a well-designed ergonomic work environment.
Do the tasks involve:
- Carrying objects at a distance from the body?
- Performing twisting, stooping, or reaching upwards movements?
- Involving long distances for carrying items?
- Involving repetitive handling?
- Possessing a risk of sudden movement of loads?
- Insufficient rest or recovery time provided?
- Dictated work rate based on a specific process?
Are the loads:
- Considerably heavy or large in size?
- Difficult to grip or hold securely?
- Prone to unstable or unpredictable movement?
- Stacked in an awkward configuration?
- Potentially dangerous, such as being sharp or hot?
You can find more essential questions on our blog about the industrial ergonomics checklist. The benefit of reading it is that you gain insights into what professional ergonomists check during audits, enabling you to assess these factors independently. However, only professional ergonomists can provide accurate and comprehensive assessments, considering their specialised knowledge and expertise in the field.
Training and education on ergonomics
Effective training and education on ergonomics to achieve the objective of ergonomics in the workplace. Comprehensive training offers the benefit of equipping workers with knowledge about proper body mechanics, maintaining correct posture, and practising safe lifting and handling techniques.
Experience the benefit of Ergonomic Trainings facilitated by experts. Gain a comprehensive understanding of the importance of ergonomics in the workplace and crucial implementation practices. Book your session with us today!
How ergonomics affects the work environment
The integration of ergonomics in the work environment brings a notable benefit by enhancing employee well-being, comfort, and productivity. Here are the specific benefits your company can get.
- Prevention of strains, sprains, and repetitive strain injuries (RSIs): Ergonomics helps in implementing proper techniques and equipment to reduce the risk of injuries caused by repetitive movements or overexertion, minimising strains and sprains.
- Minimisation of slips, trips, and falls: Ergonomic design provides the benefit of creating a safe work environment by considering factors like proper flooring, lighting, and layout. This reduces the likelihood of accidents and prevents injuries caused by slips, trips, and falls.
- Reduced discomfort and distractions: Ergonomics focuses on optimising workstations and tools to benefit employee comfort, reducing distractions and discomfort that can hamper productivity and well-being.
- Ability to work for longer periods without fatigue: Providing ergonomic solutions, such as adjustable seating and proper desk height, offers the benefit of enabling your staff to work for longer periods without experiencing excessive fatigue.
- Positive impact on mental and emotional health: The well-being of employees ergonomics aims to protect can be protected by creating a supportive and comfortable work environment that positively impacts mental and emotional health.
- Lower stress levels and improved work-life balance: Implementing ergonomic practices provides the benefit of reducing stress levels by minimising physical discomfort and creating a conducive work environment.
Remember that the importance of workplace ergonomics isn't just about the safety and comfort of your staff's workplace but also about your company's success.
The power of ergonomics: why prioritising workplace comfort matters
What is the purpose of ergonomics in the workplace?
Ergonomics is of paramount importance in the workplace. By implementing ergonomic principles, your company can benefit from enhanced staff well-being, boosted productivity, and reduced risk of work-related injuries and musculoskeletal disorders.
It also provides the benefit of addressing factors such as workspace layout, lighting, and equipment design to reduce discomfort, distractions, and the risk of trips, falls, and slips.
It is crucial for your company to recognise that investing in ergonomics is also a strategic decision that directly impacts its return on investment (ROI). When you implement ergonomics in your workers' workplace, you enjoy the benefit of lower costs associated with work-related injuries, absenteeism, and healthcare expenses.
One advantage of ergonomics is that it leads to a decrease in employee turnover rates, resulting in reduced recruitment and training costs.
Ergonomic improvements benefit your company by creating a positive work environment and fostering employee loyalty and commitment. This saves costs linked to recruiting and training new staff while leveraging the experience and expertise of the existing workforce.
Enjoy the benefits of our fully customisable platform that leads you through an education-focused workstation evaluation. Check out our ErgoEval Tool and have your employees' workplace evaluated.